Sunday 28 November 2010

Family four-tunes on the day City shined on the telly

WOW! What a day. My Nanny turned 84 and told me she needs to get up twice in the night for a slash and I had to explain to my Grandad who Kasabian were. Between that and other family nuggets was a certain game of football that will live long in the memory.
Beating Ipswich 4-1 is obviously brilliant, but today, for me, it was all about the bigger picture.
This was the first one at Carrow Road for almost two years and the fact that both sides had made fairly good starts to the season was one reason it was chosen to be shown live on BBC One.
Norwich playing Ipswich live on the Beeb and we had the window to show the whole of the nation just what a great club we are.
I left my family in the comfort of their warm homes to tune into the match. None of them watch Norwich regularly, indeed my grandparents have probably never actually watched a Norwich game on telly, but today, they tuned in and as I trundled down to Carrow Road I thought that there was possibly a whole new audience about to watch a Norwich league game live for the first time.
Such is my route down to Carrow Road that for half the 25 minute walk I don’t really see any other Norwich fans. As I wind my way through the sleepy suburban streets in the south of the City I often have chats over fences and hedges with people who don’t really take an interest in football but who seem to think spending the afternoon in their gardens is worthwhile instead.
They often ask the score on the way home or on the way to the ground look at me in my Norwich scarf and mutter something about The Canaries.
Today on the way down to the ground as the snow crunched beneath my feet, two blokes in their garden shouted out “Make sure you throw snowballs at the Ipswich fans.”
Inside Carrow Road the biggest crowd in 16 years and thousands more on television screens around the country watched a simply brilliant game if you’re a Norwich fan.
Henri Lansbury made his debut on the right of midfield, Simon Lappin continued at left back and David Fox and Andrew Surman held their places in the middle.
As for the action well, we got a bit lucky. Grant Holt was booked in the first few minutes, we took the lead with a goal that could have been cancelled out for handball, conceded a soft equaliser, Holt added a second, he could have been sent off for deliberate handball, he did well to go down under Damien Delaney’s lightest of touches and we didn’t know what to do for the first half the second period.
But as a Norwich fan, and wearing those yellow-tinted glasses, we were awesome and at the break I was confident we could have been heading for a serious romp.
Thankfully Holt completed that hat-trick, Wes Hoolahan knocked in a fourth and it was all happy days and all of a sudden being a Norwich fan never felt better.
But the real verdict was to be had when I got back to my parents house. I love Norwich. I will be at every home game for the next I don’t know how long.
But I love to think we won some new fans today. My grandparents said they watched it all and enjoyed it. They picked up on Grant Holt scoring a treble. My granddad asked if he was from Norfolk given his surname, my Nanny picked up on the fact that Norwich have players called R Martin and C Martin which by coincidence are same names as my grandparents.
I haven’t got parents called Russell and Chris by the way!
I’m sure there are Norwich fans all over the country who will be getting texts and phone calls from friends and family tonight saying they saw their team whip Ipswich 4-1 on the telly.
And for that reason, it was so good to share our success in such a public spotlight.

No comments:

Post a Comment