Sunday 26 September 2010

May the best man win

It's not often I go to a Norwich home game with a fan of the away club, but fittingly, in the my first appearance at Carrow Road as a married man, my best man Tom was in the away end.
Tom was there back in 1984 when I first went to see City at home against Everton with my primiary school, and again was there later that season when we were both ball boys against Sunderland.
So it was highly appropriate that Tom, wearing the special Hull shirt I gave him as a wedding gift, came round to my mum and dad's house with girlfriend Sara to chow down on toasted sandwiches, like he would have done in the late 1980s.
Tom was convinced Hull would run out 3-1 winners, I told him it would be a 1-0 home win, although on the way down I told him I hadn't seen Norwich win this season.
The weather was, to say the least, shocking and nothing of interest happened in the first half, although Tom sent a text midway through the second half suggesting The Tigers would nick the win.
To be fair, both sides had no cutting edge about them and the game was really there for the taking.
Fair play to Hull, they wanted it more and performed the perfect smash and grab raid. Jimmy Bullard pulled all the strings and Tom Cairney, who scored a stoppage time free-kick caught they eye.
After the game Tom was full of smiles and regardless of the result, it was great to go to the game together.
On this, my first home game as a married man, it was fair to say the best man won.

No comments:

Post a Comment