Tuesday 28 September 2010

It's clearly going to be a crazy season at Carrow Road

Finally I’ve ended my awful jinx of seeing Norwich City not win this season thanks to a 4-3 win over Leicester that put The Canaries third in the Championship.
You’d think I’d be chirpy as the club emblem right now, but I can’t say I’ve ever enjoyed a seven goal game so little as tonight’s Carrow Road clash.
And, given the fact we’re now in our highest spot in something like five years, you’d think I’d be positively buzzing.
But I’m not – I’m really worried that Norwich are in for a mid-table finish as I just don’t think this squad is good enough to mount even a play-off push.
I know we’ve just gone third in the table, and I know it all looks rosy on paper, but take away the smoke and mirrors and you’re left with a team with many problems in a division where nobody looks that great.
There are an awful lot of teams bunched up in the top half of the table and tonight was a brilliant night results wise for Norwich – everyone else who mattered seemed to slip up, which adds to the argument that we’re very lucky to be where we are.
Let’s start with the positives. We scored three top, top quality goals, while Leicester’s three goals were all really, really poor. I don’t think even the most hardened Foxes fan will disagree with that. Adam Drury scored the pick of the bunch, his fourth for the club, and probably the best moment at Carrow Road since Lee Croft scored against Ipswich almost two years ago.
Andrew Crofts and Korey Smith ran the midfield – both players get better and better and Smith in particular looks like an awesome prospect.
Leon Barnett looks a great addition. I like him alot.
Now the negatives.
John Ruddy pulled off a couple of decent saves in the second half, but conceding a goal like that so early in the game won’t get us very far.
The defence was so poor in the first half, nobody wanted the ball, it was just long ball after long ball hoofed in the air and aimed at Grant Holt. That’s not going to be very effective against better teams.
Russell Martin and Elliott Ward don’t look up to the job, every time either goes near the ball I wince. As for sub Steven Smith, I will quite happily say now I hope he doesn’t ever play for the club again.
He doesn’t seem to be a natural footballer – every time he had the ball he got rid of it straight away.
Up front Hoolahan scored a great goal, but didn’t really do enough. Holt didn’t really come close to scoring and Simeon Jackson, quick as he is, just doesn’t seem to get in goalscoring positions.
What was so bad overall for me was the first half showing. We were dire. Fair enough we turned it round after the break, but this was against Leicester. Leicester who got hammered 6-1 last Friday.
Never has defending a 4-2 lead against the bottom side in the league been so tough.
We should have had the game sewn up at 3-1, but until the final whistle blew, Leicester, who conceded four goals, were still in with a shout of getting something from the game.
I’d love to write a gushing report saying we are world beaters and it’s only a matter of time until we’re back in the Premier League, but any intelligent football fan knows we flattered ourselves tonight.
As David Brent once said: “If he landed in a barrel of tits, he’d come out sucking his thumb.”
I think tonight we’ve got a pair of 36DDs all to ourselves, but next time we fall in to that barrel, I don’t think we’ll be quite as lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment