Friday 28 October 2011

Carrow Road Memories: Norwich v Blackburn in the Premier League and my Jarrold Stand debut

Seven years ago next week Norwich faced tomorrow's opponents Blackburn Rovers in the Premier League for the last time.
It was November 6, 2004 and, incredibly by this season's standards, they had yet to register a single victory in any of their opening 11 games before the visit of Rovers.
I remember the game well. Work commitments meant I couldn't get to any Saturday games that season apart from this one and it was a freezing cold day.
Back in the 2004/05 season, City put a number of tickets on sale on the morning of each game with the ticket office open from 9am. Demand was such that around 300 were on sale and you had to get in the queue pretty damn early to secure a £30 ticket for the then new Jarrold Stand.
Fearful of demand outweighing supply I got in the queue at 6am and shuffled around for a couple of hours until the doors of the ticket office opened and I got a ticket.
I was thrilled to be making my Premier League debut for that season in the new stand and with six hours to kill in Norwich before kick off, I bizarrely went and purchased a new car.
I was turning 30 a few months later and decided to snap up a new VW Polo from Robinsons.
I went along to the showroom and got chatting to a pretty salesgirl who clearly wanted to get out of the office on a dull Saturday.
I took her for a test drive for miles - we practically went to Cromer and back before I decided to buy the car.
I then recall backing Rovers' Barry Ferguson to score the opening goal before taking my seat in a chilly new Jarrold Stand with 23,383 other fans.
The game was pretty forgettable - Matt Svenson gave City the lead early in the second half, jay Bothroyd got sent off for kicking a City player in the corner of the River End and Jarrold Stand and any hopes of a first Premier League win were ended by Paul Dickov four minutes from time.
As I left the Jarrold Stand, which is now my bi-weekly home, for the first time, City's record after the first week of November was P 12 W 0 D 7 L 5.
A week later City were thumped 4-0 at Charlton (!) before finally getting that first win at the 14th attempt at home to Southampton.
My only other games that season were slightly more memorable - the Man City Monday night home game featuring Delia's rousing half-time speech and Craven Cottage on the final Sunday. Enough said.

No comments:

Post a Comment