Sunday 9 January 2011

FA Cup has no appeal to new generation of City fans

Well the research proved I was right - it would have been an upset for Norwich to beat Leyton Orient in the FA Cup yesterday. And that's just how it went.
On Friday I wrote that Norwich have only made it passed the third round three times in 15 years. Make that 16 years now after a poor home loss to Leyton Orient.
I felt sorry for myself, as year in year out I always fall victim to the romance of the FA Cup. I always love the second round for the simple fact that it ends with the third round draw and back in November after we'd tonked Ipswich 4-1 I went home and was thrilled to get a home draw with either Leyton Orient or Droylsden.
Fate dictated it would be League One Orient at Carrow Road and fate dictated they would be the latest list on a shameful rolecall of teams such as Bury, Brentford, Charlton and Grimsby who have ended a Norwich FA Cup run before the Christmas sales are over.
What is particularly galling is that a new generation of City fans think the FA Cup is just a trivial competition that we never do well in. The fact that we did used to be known as a great cup team is starting to be just something filed away in the memories of supporters who may have witnessed the events of 1959, who were at Old Trafford in 1967 or at the semi-finals in 1989 and 1992.
Where I sit in the Jarrold Stand there are normally quite a few kids. The chap in front of me, a well dressed man in his 40s, regulalry spends league games sitting next to his teenage son. On Saturday he sat alone, his son obviously had better things to do.
FA Cup dad? No thanks.
It reminded me of when I was his age, at the start of the 1990s. I used to watch Norwich at every chance I could, but occasionally when Norwich played in the ZDS Cup I would have to be persuaded by my mates at school that it was worth bothering with.
So much so that in 1991 when Norwich played QPR in the competition me and my mate decided to go for a laugh and just for fun we went and stood in the away end with no more than two dozen Rangers fans. QPR won 2-1 and we made out that it didn't bother us as we pretended to celebrate with some Loftus Road regulars.
Fast forward a generation and it occurs to me that while Dads still recall the magic of the competition, their sons and daughters couldn't give a stuff about it. For them, the FA Cup is how we used to think of the ZDS Cup.
As for the game, well it was grim. Nothing happened in the first half apart from former City loan man Jimmy Smith hitting the eventual winner with an early header.
City, with Aaron Wilbraham and Chris Martin up front and Declan Rudd in goal just didn't get the rub of the green.
In the second half, Paul Lambert, who'd been fending off approaches from Burnley all week, changed it round a bit with Grant Holt on for Wilbraham and Simon Lappin and, later, Simeon Jackson also thrown on to try and earn a replay at least.
City didn't find that goal. Did we actually want to go to Orient in ten days for a replay? Lambert probably didn't, but it would have been nice to get into the fourth round draw at least and dare to dream.
Beat Cardiff next Saturday in a much more meaningful game and I'll be happy again. That and the hope Orient don't pick out a decent tie in the next round.

1 comment:

  1. Well, you did predict it !! Nobody official can of course come out and say it was in the best interests of NCFC to go out at this stage......but nevertheless that is probably the truth of the situation. The disruption of Thursday and Friday must have been enormous with the staff and players and the first three days of next week will all be about getting back into routine. I suspect it will be a different Norwich City on view against Cardiff. Meantime a few of our promotion rivals have at least one more cup game to play, which may or may not hinder their progress in the Championship.

    Shame we crashed out nonetheless. Every year it happens, and I kid myself they are saving a cup run for the big one !! I would love our name on that trophy.

    ReplyDelete